The Open Group Releases ArchiMate® 2.0 for Better IT/Business Collaboration across the Enterprise
Open and Independent Modeling Language Now Aligns More Closely with TOGAF®
SAN FRANCISCO, January 31, 2012 – The Open Group today announced the release of ArchiMate® 2.0, the latest version of the organization’s open and independent modeling language for Enterprise Architecture. Developed by the ArchiMate Forum of The Open Group, the latest technical standard is now more aligned with TOGAF®, the world’s most popular Enterprise Architecture framework. As a result, enterprise architects using the language can improve the way key business and IT stakeholders collaborate and adapt to change.
ArchiMate 2.0 improves collaboration through clearer understanding across multiple functions, including business executives, enterprise architects, systems analysts, software engineers, business process consultants and infrastructure engineers. The new standard enables the creation of fully integrated models of an organization’s Enterprise Architecture, the motivation behind it, and the programs, projects and migration paths to implement it. ArchiMate already follows terms defined in the TOGAF framework, and version 2.0 of the specification enables modeling through the TOGAF Architecture Development Method (ADM).
“ArchiMate 2.0 provides enterprise architects with the tools and concepts necessary to create a consistent, integrated model that aligns more closely with TOGAF,” said Allen Brown, CEO of The Open Group. “This new standard will increase interoperability and help enterprise architects establish a common language across the enterprise, raising the value and awareness of the discipline.”
“Architects wanted modeling through the TOGAF ADM in order to create an architecture more streamlined with the world’s most popular Enterprise Architecture framework, and the updates made in ArchiMate 2.0 were a reflection of this member feedback,” said Henry Franken, Chairman of The Open Group ArchiMate Forum. “We look forward to seeing enterprise architects around the globe use ArchiMate 2.0 in their quest to more closely align IT and the business.”
ArchiMate 2.0 includes the following features and benefits:
- Improved business and IT alignment through Enterprise Architecture modeling aligned with the TOGAF ADM
- Ability to better support the preparation and management of business change, application rationalization, program and portfolio management and outsourcing scenarios
- Ability to perform cost analysis and business case calculations
- A Motivation extension to model stakeholders, drivers for change, business goals, principles and requirements
- Implementation and Migration extensions to support project portfolio management, gap analysis and transition and migration planning
- Improved consistency and examples, as well as additional clarification updates from the previous version
The following ArchiMate 2.0 certification programs will also be available:
- Individual Certification: Enables enterprise architects and trainers around the globe to demonstrate their knowledge of the ArchiMate Standard
- Open Group Training Accreditation: Provides an authoritative and independent assurance of the quality and relevance of training courses available
- Tool Certification Program: Ensures that architecture artifacts created with a certified tool are conformant to the ArchiMate language
For more information on ArchiMate 2.0, please visit: http://theopengroup.org/archimate/
ArchiMate is an open and independent modeling language for Enterprise Architecture, supported by different tool vendors and consulting firms. ArchiMate provides instruments to support enterprise architects in describing, analyzing and visualizing the relationships among business domains in an unambiguous way.
About The Open Group
The Open Group is an international vendor- and technology-neutral consortium upon which organizations rely to lead the development of IT standards and certifications, and to provide them with access to key industry peers, suppliers and best practices. The Open Group provides guidance and an open environment in order to ensure interoperability and vendor neutrality. Further information on The Open Group can be found at http://opengroup.org.
The Bateman Group for The Open Group