TOGAF 7 Links
As of December 2002, two versions of TOGAF are available:
- TOGAF Version 8 ("Enterprise Edition"), first published in
December 2002 and republished in updated form as TOGAF Version 8.1 in December 2003
- TOGAF Version 7 ("Technical Edition"), published in December
TOGAF Version 8 is a superset of the well established framework represented by TOGAF
Version 7. Version 8 uses the same underlying method for developing IT architectures that
was evolved, with a particular focus on Technical Architectures, in the Versions of TOGAF
up to and including Version 7. However, Version 8 applies that architecture development
method to the other domains of an overall Enterprise Architecture - the Business
Architecture, Data Architecture, and Application Architecture, as well as the Technical
If you are interested in TOGAF Version 8, as an industry consensus framework
and method for Enterprise Architecture, please go to the TOGAF Version 8 web site.
About TOGAF 7 "Technical Edition"
TOGAF 7 is a framework - a detailed method and a set of supporting tools - for
developing an IT architecture. It is described in a document published by The Open Group
on its public web server, and may be used freely by any organization wishing to develop an
information systems architecture for use within that organization.
entire TOGAF 7 Documentation set is freely available for viewing on-line.
- Alternatively, the complete TOGAF 7 Documentation set can be downloaded under license. A
90-day Evaluation License is free to all individuals, and a perpetual Corporate License is
free to any organization wanting to use TOGAF entirely for internal purposes, subject to
certain Licensing Conditions. An annual Commercial License is required in order to exploit
TOGAF 7 commercially. See below for details.
TOGAF was developed, and continues to be evolved, by the members of The Open Group's
Architecture Forum. Details of the Forum, including its plans for evolving TOGAF in the
current year, are given on the Architecture
Forum web site.
In order to protect the value of TOGAF by ensuring its consistent application and
usage, The Open Group has introduced certification programs in support of The Open Group
Architecture Framework Version 7 (TOGAF7), as follows:
- Architecture tools which support TOGAF7
- Training courses which instruct in TOGAF7
- Architects trained in the use of TOGAF7
- Professional services offered in support of TOGAF7
Full details are given on a separate TOGAF Certification web site.
Also view the register
of TOGAF7 certified tools, companies and individuals.
TOGAF 7 FAQ
If you are new to the field of IT architecture and/or TOGAF, you may find it worthwhile
to read the set of Frequently
Asked Questions, where you will find answers to questions such as:
- What is an architectural framework?
- What kind of "architecture" are we talking about?
- How does my organization benefit from using TOGAF?
TOGAF 7 Executive Guide
For a longer introduction to TOGAF 7 (but one still readable within a few minutes), you
are recommended to read the TOGAF 7
Executive Guide, which focuses on the business benefits of IT Architecture and how
TOGAF can help deliver them.
- If you want to learn about TOGAF 7, and/or you want to present it to colleagues and
management, download the presentation Introduction to TOGAF
Version 7 (PPT, PDF).
Public Training Courses in TOGAF 7
Other Associated Web Sites
- The Architecture Forum web site -
provides general information about the Architecture Forum, whose members developed and
continue to evolve TOGAF. If you are interested in TOGAF and/or IT architecture, you
should consider joining the Architecture Forum.
- The Architecture Portal -
provides general information about the world of IT Architecture, and links to other sites
of interest in the IT Architecture field.
- The ADML web
site - provides information about the Architecture Description Markup Language (ADML).
How Do I Download TOGAF 7?
Downloading TOGAF 7 as an Architecture Forum Member
If your organization is a member of The Open Group Architecture Forum, you may download
and use TOGAF internally under a personal annual Member License.
- If you download TOGAF you are presumed to have read and accepted the TOGAF 7 Member Licensing
Conditions. There is no need to complete and submit the license.
- This is a personal license. It does not permit you to pass on the TOGAF Documentation to
your colleagues. If you want other members of your organization to use or evaluate TOGAF,
they must take out their own Member License via this web page.
- The annual Member License is not a Commercial License. As a member,
your organization is entitled to a Commercial License for no additional cost; but it is a
separate transaction. Your organization must previously have taken out a TOGAF 7 Annual Commercial License in order for you to use TOGAF
The download procedure:
- Check the TOGAF 7 Member Licensing Conditions;
- Register and download TOGAF 7 under the Annual
Downloading TOGAF 7 as a Non-Member
You may download TOGAF Version 7 under a free, personal, 90-day Evaluation
License; and you may then go on to use it internally under a free, perpetual,
Corporate License or a free, perpetual, Academic License, if you wish. Alternatively, you
may take out an annual Commercial License.
Applying for a TOGAF 7 Evaluation License
The TOGAF 7 Evaluation License...:
- ...is issued free of charge.
- ...is valid for 90 days.
- ...is a personal license. It does not permit you to pass on the TOGAF
Documentation to your colleagues. If you want other members of your
organization to use or evaluate TOGAF, they must take out their own
Evaluation License via this web page.
- ...covers the evaluation of TOGAF 7 for commercial use. However, you may not use
TOGAF 7 commercially under an Evaluation License.
- Your organization must have taken out a TOGAF 7 Annual
Commercial License in order for you to use TOGAF 8 commercially.
- If you are evaluating TOGAF 8 for commercial use, and wish to continue your evaluation
beyond the 90-day period, contact us to request an
The download procedure:
- Check the TOGAF 7 Evaluation Licensing
- Register and download TOGAF 8 under a 90-day
If you download TOGAF, you are presumed to have read and accepted the TOGAF 7 Evaluation Licensing Conditions. There
is no need to complete and submit the license.
After the Evaluation Period
After expiry of the 90-day evaluation period you should
apply for a more permanent License:
- A free, perpetual Corporate License is available to any
organization wanting to use TOGAF 7 entirely for internal purposes.
- A free, perpetual Academic License is free to any academic
organization wanting to use TOGAF 7 entirely for academic (teaching and/or research)
- An annual Commercial License is available for
organizations wishing to exploit TOGAF 7 commercially.
You are under no obligation to take out any of these licenses. However, if you decline,
you will be obliged to send an email confirming that you have removed the TOGAF 7
documentation from your machine..