If you wish to use TOGAF 9.1 for commercial purposes, then your organization must have a
current TOGAF 9.1 Annual Commercial License. This applies to both members and non-members of
The Open Group Architecture Forum.
Commercial purposes include, by way of example, developing an IT architecture for use
within an organization other than your primary employer, or providing TOGAF based
consultancy or training services.
You will also need a TOGAF Annual Commercial License if you wish to submit an
application to certify a product or service to any of the TOGAF Product Standards. See the
TOGAF Certification web site for
The Commercial License covers all full-time employees of the licensing
organization, and permits the TOGAF documentation be distributed freely within the
organization, without each employee having to have their own personal license.
The annual license fee depends on the size of the licensing organization (in terms of
turnover), as explained in the TOGAF
9.1 Commercial License Agreement[PDF].
If your organization is currently a member of The Open Group Architecture Forum, then
it is entitled to a TOGAF 9.1 Commercial License at no additional cost (and indeed may
already have one), subject to completion and submission of the license application, as
If you are unsure whether your organization is a member, check the List of Architecture Forum
members. If you are unsure whether your organization has a current TOGAF 9 Annual
Commercial License, check here.
- Note: If you wish to evaluate TOGAF 9.1 for commercial use, you can do so under a free,
License (for non-members) or Member License
(for members). Neither of these licenses permits TOGAF 9.1 to be used commercially.
Applying for a TOGAF 9.1 Annual Commercial Licence
- Right-click the following link to download the TOGAF 9.1 Commercial License Agreement[PDF].
- Print out the License Agreement, and review the licensing conditions.
- Identify an appropriate authority to sign the license on behalf of the organization, and
secure his/her signature on the Commercial License.
- Provide the additional information requested for a primary contact.
- Email the signed license to legal(at)opengroup.org or fax the signed license to the number shown at the foot of the license: +44 870-134-8146.
- If your organization is not already a member of The Open Group Architecture Forum, in
which the TOGAF framework is evolved, then you may take out a free annual membership as
part of the same transaction:
- Locate The Open Group Membership Application Form, which is linked-to from the
Commercial License Agreement.
- Print out and complete the Membership Application Form. (Under section 1, enter
"Architecture Forum"; and under section 2, enter "Complimentary -
- Email or fax the form together with the Commercial License Agreement, as described above.
- The Open Group Chief Legal Officer will then sign on behalf of The Open Group, and
return a copy to you for your records.
Contact us if you have any queries.